The Ultimate Guide on How to Play Roulette
Ever been tempted to test your luck on roulette while you’re in Las Vegas? It can be a little intimidating if you don’t know how to play, but there’s a reason it’s one of the most exciting and popular table games on any casino floor. The rules are simple and you can potentially win big! Even if it’s your first time placing a bet, you will get the hang of it pretty quickly. If you want to play roulette like a pro, here’s what you need to know.
The Basics of Roulette
When you walk into any casino, you’ll recognize the roulette tables right away. There’s a wheel that features slots for numbers 1 to 36 as well as either one or two slots for zeroes. The number slots are either red or black, and the zero slots are green. Players will stand around a table where the roulette wheel is laid out, and this is where bets are placed.
Players can place bets until the dealer closes the betting session. Once all bets are placed, the dealer spins the wheel and throws in a small, marble-sized ball into it that spins in the opposite direction. The ball will eventually fall into one of the marked slots, which determines which bets receive a payout.
If you have placed a bet that corresponds to the color or number of the slot, you will receive a payout. Also, check for special bet promotions that can increase your winnings.
How to Make Roulette Bets
There are two basic groups of bets that every player should be familiar with because they determine roulette payouts. The first group is known as inside bets, and the second group is outside bets. The roulette terms for these bets are essential for players to know when they step up to the table.
Inside and outside refer to where on the roulette board the bets are being placed. Bets that are placed on the numbers are called “inside,” and bets placed on other sections of the board are called “outside.”
Here are examples of inside bets:
A straight bet is made on a single number. For this, you place the chip directly over the number.
This bet covers two adjacent numbers. Make this bet by placing the chip on a shared edge between the numbers.
A street bet, which may also be called a line bet, covers three numbers on a single vertical line. For this one, you place your chip on the outside edge of the row.
A corner or square bet covers four numbers within an adjacent square. Place your chip on the common corner for this bet.
5. Double Street
This is also sometimes called a six line, and it covers two adjacent vertical lines. To make this bet, place your chip on the shared outer corner of the first numbers in each line.
This is a special, three-number bet that includes the zero and two adjacent numbers. For this, place your chip in the center of where the three number squares meet.
There are two additional inside bets that are only available for certain variations. The “first four” bet, which covers 0-1-2-3, is only available for European roulette. The “basket” bet, which covers 00-0-1-2-3, is only available for American roulette.
Here are the outside bets you can place at the roulette table:
1. Low or High
For this, you can bet on numbers 1 to 18, which is the low bet, or 19 to 36, which is the high bet. If the ball lands on any of the numbers in your chosen range, you win.
2. Red or Black
This bet is placed on all numbers that are either red or black. If the winning number features your chosen color, you win.
3. Even or Odd
For this bet, you wager on all of the even or odd numbers, excluding zero.
In this, you’re betting on either the first, second, or third square of 12 numbers.
Column bets are made on one of three 12-number columns. You win if one of those numbers hits.
Hot Tips on Roulette Strategy
Now that you know what bets you can place, here’s the good stuff. You’re probably wondering how to turn these bets into a winning spin. Although every player has their personal preferences and good luck charms, there are some popular approaches you may want to consider. Check out these insider tips on some roulette strategies:
- Remember that a good strategy can help you place a winning bet, but no amount of strategy can influence the outcome of a spin.
- Some players like to bet on “hot numbers,” which is a term that refers to the most recent winning numbers. This method gets mixed results, but it’s popular among certain groups of players.
- When you play American roulette, the house edge is around 5.3 percent. When you play European roulette, the house advantage drops to about 2.7 percent, which is why it’s often more popular.
- If you want to spend more time at the table, remember that inside bets are more volatile. Although they have a lower payoff, statistically, you will win more often with outside bets. For example, bet on black or red, odd or even, or column bets.
- Talk to your dealer! No matter how much you may think you know about roulette, your dealer almost always knows more. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. You’ll catch on quickly if you lean on the expert. (Don’t forget to tip!)
- Pay attention to minimum bets. If you’re on a budget, you want to find roulette tables with lower minimum bets. If you’re looking for a bigger payout, look for the high roller tables.
- Many experienced gamblers will tell you to go with your gut. There’s only so much a mathematical strategy can do. You really never know what could happen at the roulette table!
Take Roulette for a Spin in Downtown Las Vegas
Now that you know the basics, you’re ready to get in on the action. Grab some chips, and take your newfound expertise for a spin at the roulette table. The casino at Downtown Grand has the best dealers, a fun and energetic casino floor, and offers some of the best odds in Downtown Las Vegas.
Learn more about our table games and slots, and get ready to make some memories in downtown!